Q: How do I create a backup of my applications Database?
A: If your application is not hosted online then you can create a backup of your applications database using the steps below:
- From the Start menu in the lower left corner of your screen open up Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio on the server where your databases are hosted,
- Connect to the SQL Server where your databases are hosted,
- To back up a database, right-click on the database and select Tasks,
- From the Tasks menu select Back Up…,
- In the Back Up Database window select Disk or Tape from the Destination section,
- If an entry in the Destination section already exists like in the screenshot below, simply select OK to back up the database,
- If no entry exists select the button,
- Next select where you wish to store the database backup,
- Once you have decided where you wish to store the database backup, go ahead and give the backup a name e.g. Asp_Database_24APR15.bak,
- It is also important to note that when naming the database backup that it must end with .bak as this is the database backup file format, if this is not added to the end of the database backup name then it can potentially result in a corrupted database backup.
Note that for a complete backup you will need to backup both the Asp and the Application database.
If your application is hosted online, please open a Support Request here and we will be able to create a backup of your Databases.
Still having some troubles or have questions? Submit a Support Request here.